The Whitman County Commissioners recently appointed Ronda Penwell to the Whitman County Library Board of…
Whitman County Library Board of Trustees Vacancy
The Whitman County Rural Library District Board of Trustees will have a vacant seat beginning in January of 2023. County residents who may be interested in applying for this position should send a letter of interest to the library director by November 30, 2022. This letter should include why you would like to serve on the board, what strengths you could bring to the library district, your philosophy about libraries (for Whitman County and/or libraries in general), and any other notable qualifications.
A library board member is appointed by the county commissioners to serve a 5-year term. A board member may serve two consecutive terms. Regular board meetings are currently held the third Tuesday of each month at 4 pm in Colfax. Remote attendance is available as needed. Board members are expected to attend, with three consecutive absences acting as a grounds for dismissal. Additional board meetings as determined by the board may be called as well.
Duties of the Board of Trustees
1. Determine the policy of the library and develop the highest possible degree of operating efficiency in the library.
2. Select, appoint, and evaluate a library director.
3. Advise in the preparation of the budget, approve it, and make sure that adequate funds are provided to finance the approved budget.
4. Through the director, supervise and maintain buildings and grounds, as well as regularly review various physical and building needs to see that they meet the requirements of the total library program.
5. Study and support legislation which will bring about the greatest good to the greatest number of libraries.
6. Cooperate with other public officials and boards and maintain vital public relations for the library.
Please send letters of interest as well as your contact info to Cody Allen, Director of Whitman County Rural Library District. Please send letters one of two ways:
(1) Email to Cody Allen at firstname.lastname@example.org
(2) Mail to:
Whitman County Library
102 S Main Street
Colfax, WA 9911